Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pumpkins!


My volunteer pumpkin plants bloomed while we were in Maui and now we have a few little pumpkins forming. It' s fun to see them grow and I keep checking for more. I've been soaking a plant in the yard each day and it's really starting to show. I know my pumpkin grew overnight and I see new growth on all the plants. The plants haven't been wilting in the afternoon like they usually do either. I need to cage the tomato plants and the pepper plants that I got from the organic farm that we toured in Pleasanton two months ago. I planted them really deep like the guy told me and they took a while to grow but they look really full and healthy after a few days fo soaking them. The other tomato plants are doing okay. The leaves are turning yellow and getting crispy but we do have tomatoes on the vines and a couple are starting to turn red. I've harvested 3 cherry tomatoes and 1 little roma tomato. They sure were good. The grapes are still growing strong but they aren't ready to pick yet since it hasn't been warm enough. The corn didn't do so well. I have one really good stalk and everyone who grows corn knows that you have to have several stocks close together so they can polinate each other. My watermelon plants are the same size as the day I brought them home from the nursery and planted them in the ground. I have been soaking them too everyday and I think I see some growth. My lettuce plants are huge and really need to be harvested. Those were volunteer plants too so they aren't spaced correctly. The pumpkin plants are taking over and I love seeing all that green in my garden.

No comments: