Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bunnies, chickens and cats, oh my!







My chickens accidentally got out of their caged area but they looked so happy to be free and feel the sunshine on their feathers that I didn't have the heart to put them back. They immediately went to a sunny part of the yard and starting taking dust baths. If you've never seen a chicken take a dust bath, well you should sometime. It's a funny thing to watch. They do it to get rid of the mites that try to live on their skin and you can tell it feels good to them to roll in the dirt and lay in the sun in funny positions. Even our cat came over to watch. Gabby is about thirteen years old and almost as spry as a kitten. She still plays and does funny things and she's very talkative. Good thing we named her Gabby. The chickens were good and stayed out of the bocce court so I let them roam in the yard for a while until it started to get dark. Bryan doesn't like them in the bocce court because they dig in it and make huge holes that he has to fill in later. I understand. Our bunnies love it when I get them out of their hutch and they can eat grass in the bunny run. Patches likes to dig though so we have some very dangerous booby traps in our lawn that the boys need to fill in. You could really twist an ankle in one of those holes. I can feel spring in the air. The sun is warmer and brighter and things look so green and fresh. The garden yearns for her seedlings but I'm working on preparing the dirt so it's just right to receive our precious plants that will bring us such joy every morning when we harvest our little bounty of goodies in a few months. Gardening teaches me so much about life. Weeds, like sin, are so easy to remove when they are small and haven't grown roots but if you let a weed grow it becomes very dangerous, almost too dangerous to pull with regular gardening gloves. I have to use a special tool to get the root and then sometimes I have to get both hands around the root, steady my feet and pull with all my might. They don't often come up with the first tug either. I have to be determined to removed that darn weed. That's what happens when we let things that are not good for us grow in our lives. It's sometimes easy to just ignore it but it's getting bigger and stronger every day and soon will require special tools to remove when we could have simply just gone over even with bare hands and removed the little tiny weed. That tiny little weed could be an attitude, unforgiveness, selfishness, ungratefulness, bitterness, you get the idea. I want to be quick to remove things when they're little and managable and not wait until they require extra effort and even some injury.


No comments: