Monday, April 19, 2010

Spring Break 2010


Since we homeschool we take our Spring Break when it works for us, not according to someone else's calendar. We weren't sure when it would happen or if it would happen but we decided this week was the week to take some time off of school and let the boys go to Universal Studios with Bryan. It's very expensive, almost as much as Disneyland but it's where Marcus wants to go for his birthday and they've never been before. The boys have been working really hard and if the boys are working hard that means I'm working really hard too. I figured we all deserved some time off to do the things we want to do instead of the things we should do. Today we slept in, well, the kids slept in a little but still early enough to get a few hours of video games in. I got up early because animals don't take spring break and they needed to be fed. I love to be up early anyway so it was nice to get an early start. My big project right now is sorting through five bins and four boxes of paperwork that I've saved for a family of five for eighteen years. Every thank you note, birthday card, Valentine's Day card, anniversary card, wedding invitation, graduation announcement, you name it, I saved it. Oh and all three of my kids draw all the time and I had saved every drawing they ever scribbled on every scrap paper. I also saved every piece of schoolwork they've ever done. I sorted through the boxes so that things were separated by person and then I let that person go through their pile. The rule was you could keep anything you want and get rid of anything you want but the box has to close neatly. The boys did really well but they both still have a pile to go through. In the middle of all the paper sorting I wanted to take a family bike ride. I wanted us to do something as a family that we don't normally do. We got all the bikes out, brushed them off, found the helmets, pumped up all the tires (after a trip to Target to get a new tire pump) and after an hour we were ready to go. Our destination was the donut shop that's five minutes away. I figured we had to keep it short and simple and fun. We rode down there, had a yummy donut and then rode home. It was fun and I'm glad we did it. I know the kids will remember it and that's what counts.

No comments: