Every year the navy puts on a special commemorative Battle of Midway Dinner. If you're not familiar with the Battle of Midway it took place during WWII halfway between here and Japan. It was the battle that turned the tide for us and we started winning the war. Marcus has always been very interested in the military and until recently has wanted to be a marine. After spending several years reading about the military and all that it requires he has changed his mind. Now he wants to go into film. I'm not surprised. We've always told him to do whatever he wanted to do because we don't want him to do it just because we think it's a good idea. My mother-in-law and father-in-law are good friends with a retired Navy captain and when she found out that Marcus was interested in the military she invited them all to this special dinner. It's a black tie event so last year we got Marcus a tux and all the accessories-bow tie, cumberbun, cuff links, black dress shoes and socks, all the things most 13 year old boys do not have in their closet. The tux was huge on him last year when he went the first time but this year it barely fit him. He did look handsome though. The thing about 14 year old boys is that they give you attitude. I remember giving my parents attitude when they wanted to take my picture so I know it's part of the deal but I still don't like it. I was embarrassed and felt like everyone was looking at me. I'm sure he feels that way too but I still wanted a good picture. It's not everyday that your boy is in a tux. This year Lauren, Marcus' cousin went with them. She's 23 and an absolute doll to be around. I love her and her sisters dearly and I was glad she was able to go to. Maybe she'll find a nice man in a uniform there. Oh I do hope so.
No comments:
Post a Comment