Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Homeschool Conference

This is by far the best homeschool conference ever. What's a homeschool conference you ask? Well, it's where minivans, capris, baby slings, tote bags and moms come together to soak in the wisdom of those who have gone before us and to enjoy the convergence of so many that have chosen to take the same path, the same journey that requires a certain level of sacrifice and dedication.

It definitely helps that we stay in a beautiful hotel surrounded by a plethora of opportunities to entertain us should we get overwhelmed with information on educating our children and need to fill our empty tummies or empty our overcrowded minds. My favorite part of this hotel is the complimentary warm chocolate chip cookie that awaits our arrival. Yum. No picture available due to my lack of self control. Sorry.
And then there is the vendor hall. Oh, the vendor hall. A homeschool mom's dream come true. One huge room filled with every imaginable homeschool curriculum available to peruse, touch, ask questions about and really see if it would be a good fit for our child. It can be overwhelming but I absolutely love it and there are times when I need to just stay out because I always manage to find some amazing stuff in there.

There are so many tables, displays and booths that it's challenging to know where to start. I just go to one end and weave my way up and down each aisle until I get to the other side. Either that or I leave when I can no longer carry the weight of my bags or I need to get to the next amazing workshop that I just can't miss.




This was by far my favorite booth. Amazing. Handcrafted items and do it yourself supplies. All made in America. Wholesome, beautiful, pleasing to the eye. I had the need to touch every item in this booth. Real felt, real wood skillfully cut by a laser, embroidery thread, beeswax made from their very own hives.They were a new vendor this year and I asked if they offer field trips. They laughed. I wasn't joking. I want my kids to see that type of entrepreneurship, the willingness to work hard, to create a quality product, one that can stand the test of time. This is just one of the things that I love about this conference. You never know what you'll find and yet you know you will find quality.



And then there are the workshops. With a plethora of subjects to choose from one can find something that will meet your need. The great thing is you can go to a workshop from the moment you get there until the moment you leave or you can go to a few and spend the rest of your time in the vendor hall, you can do whatever works for you and that works for me.




And at the end of the day, there is a soft pillow to lay your head and you and your roommates can chat away about the day, the upcoming school year, your children, your homelife, whatever is on your heart.
Because this conference is set up to allow for the freedom to do as you please there are opportunities to explore just a little outside the hotel. This place is a must. Cupcakes. Need I say more? Nope. Go there. That is all.


If you've been paying attention you will notice that some of the people are dressed a little differently. This particular convention has a Mennonite presence and in some small way it's comfortable, familiar, right. It feels nostalgic, the dresses, the head coverings, the modest shoes and clothes. It reminds me of a time in our country when our children were educated at home or at the one room school house and it was the norm. I am so thankful that we live in a country that allows us to choose how we will educate our children and I am thankful for gatherings like this that remind of us why we do what we do. I feel ready to take on the year but first I need to sew myself a dress and harvest some beeswax. Just kidding. I think....

No comments: