Monday, October 31, 2011

A Family Dance

These two crack me up, make smile and encourage me that young love still exists. Dressed as Finn and Fionna, they headed to the family dance that our homeschool group hosted. This was the second one of the year and we were excited. With the added element of Halloween it promised to be a night of fun. Even our bundle of joy had a good time decorating and getting ready for the dance. He loves a good laugh.

These boys had fun just being boys and hanging out.

I couldn't get enough pictures of the two below and now I know how paparazzi feel. You must get the shot and it doesn't even matter if they see me.

She doesn't even flinch when she sees me with my telephoto lense and it's aimed right at her. No, she politely poses and then I love here even more, if that's possible.

Oh, my word, she is cute.

Back to decorating...this guy freaked me out but I decided to name him and make it less scary, his name is Harry and he has a wife named Kerri.
After all the decorating, the kids fueled up with pizza and drinks before the dance began. Can I just say, I loved all their costumes, so fun, so conservative, so youthful. A breath of fresh air after dealing with what has been offered in the department stores and Halloween stores.

DJ Bryan and Convict Hamilton helped put the finishing touches on the music and lighting and we were so thankful to have the dads involved in this event.


Cuteness alert: I couldn't take enough pictures of them and they were willing. Just scroll down quickly if you get bored, I didn't.








The disco ball really made the dance complete. My incredibly talented and creative friend made this dance stand out against the rest. She added her touch of excellence to the event and it was very evident. Disco ball, lights, more lights, streamers, cobwebs, banners, balloons, more lights..it was all pretty magical.

I still love the costumes. There were so few that were scary and it's reassuring to see people come to a Halloween event without the intent to scare those around them. Although I do not enjoy dressing up myself, I like when other people do it, especially if it's entertaining or creative. Maybe, just maybe, I'll dress up next year. I may need to start thinking of my costume now though because I don't like to do it last minute and feel unprepared.

So, with the music going and the crowd gathering, they were the first on the dance floor and it was sweet.
Here is my amazing friend and one of the best costumes I have ever seen at a Halloween party. A lovely Christmas tree handing out glow sticks to the cutest ghost ever. So sweet. Oh, and that's an angry bird in the back.

The Christmas tree and convict were so cute out on the dance floor.

Again with the boys being boys. So cool, even if some of the facial hair is drawn on with a sharpee.

I think the addition of the Christmas tree makes them even cooler, don't you think?
But seriously, this event is such a reminder of why we do what we do. It's so refreshing to see a group of kids of all ages and walks of life to come together, dance in a wholesome way, allowing for the individuality of each other, the acceptance of all and the space for those who don't want to participate. I am thankful for people who are willing to give of their time and resources to provide a safe place for kids to be kids and for the whole family to be together. Next time though, let's learn the dance moves to Thriller so we can break out in dance together. Wouldn't that be fun?

No comments: