Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Sister Nancy



This is my sister Nancy. She's seven years older than me and has a different dad. We do have the same mother though and that is what has kept us connected throughout our adult life. She's very different from me but the more time we spend together, the more we realize the similarities and the differences. It's funny how that happens. She did drugs at an early age but just this past year she went through a drug rehab program and cleaned herself up. She has a great attitude and it's completely changed her. I'm proud of her. She's always willing to laugh and make a joke and we remember our childhood in the same way. For some reason my brother remembers it very differently. Ours was a painful childhood that was lonely, sad, confusing and just plain wrong but God is good and I can look back and see his hand upon my life. I was never harmed, never went hungry and I was able to learn from other's mistakes. I knew at a young age I would not do drugs, I would not get a divorce, I would not let my children raise themselves, I would be different. My sister and I weren't close due to the age gap but there were times when she did things for me, like the time she made me a Halloween costume that I'll never forget. She would make desserts from cereal (there was always a recipe on the box), she taught me to ride a horse and when she was gone I would play with her plastic horses which drove her crazy. When I'm with her I feel like she is the only one who understands what my childhood was like, because she is.

No comments: