Tuesday, October 5, 2010

She gets me.


Sometimes a girl just needs to go away and have some time away from the grind of life. This was one of those weekends. Alyssa and I packed up our overnight bags, loaded up the van, make sure we had the GPS and headed to Half Moon Bay. I don't even really remember the drive since we were talking the whole time, oh, wait, when were we not talking? We caught up, we analyzed, we complained, we laughed, we even teared up a couple of times but it was pure unadulterated girl time and of course we had to keep our bodies busy so we dutifully did what any girl would do and shopped, shopped, shopped. Luckily we scored at a great thrift shop and took our time going through all the treasures. To make it even better everything in the store was half off and no one was sitting in the car waiting with the engine running, no one was hiding in the clothes rack, no one was following closely behind us asking us how much longer, it was just us, two girls who love thrift shops. We had a delicious lunch at a hotel with a view of the ocean dotted with those crazy surfers who surf in October. The weather is probably the same at the coast any other month but it just seems wrong to be in the water on a cold, foggy day in October. I found out that Half Moon Bay is the pumpkin capital of the world and it makes sense. Pumpkins as far as the eye can see and the stores, oh, the stores. So many stores with their adorable Fall decorations. I don't really like fall decorations but now I feel completely inspired to decorate for fall. Pumpkins, black cats, leaves, birds, black and white...every store we went into was so asthetically pleasing and most of it could easily be recreated with some creativity and a little cash. So we did what any housewife who is a little strapped for cash would do and stopped at Joann's on the way home so we could create the same feel in our home for a third of the price. Before I even unpacked my clothes I set up all the decorations in the house. I never realized how happy the little things can make me. Everytime I walk by my little table in the living room I smile. Mostly I smile because it reminds me of a wonderful weekend getaway with a wonderful person who understands that life is crazy sometimes, well, most of the time nowadays and she gets it. She knows that life is wonderful and there are so many wonderful things to do and see and be a part of. She gets that saying no may mean we'll miss out on something or we'll miss an opportunity to make a memory or help someone who is going through a tough time. She gets it and she gets me.

No comments: