Thursday, December 30, 2010

Focusing on the Good


There is good and I will find it.


She taught me how to bake cookies, how to make an apple pie, how to make a cheesecake.


She taught me to clean my house, scrub the floor on my hands and knees, dust like you mean it, move things. She taught me to get rid of things, to clean out, to keep only what is necessary.


She taught me how to use a sewing maching and how to sew by hand.


She always decorated for Christmas even if it was only a few meaningful decorations. We always had a Christmas tree and we always had presents. We always had a stocking with an orange, okay sometimes it was an apple but there was fruit in our stocking.


She taught me to work hard and to be on time. She taught me responsibility. I had to be responsible for myself and self-sufficient. She taught me to be resourceful. I had to use what we had. Make it work.


She taught me to love gardening. She taught me to love animals.


She taught me to look for a good husband. One who will provide and care for his family. One that makes healthy life choices and doesn't leave his family.


She taught me to spend time with my kids. Kids don't like to be left alone for long periods of time. They get into trouble. They see and do things they shouldn't do.


She taught me to be a good wife. Be attentive to your husband. Don't be selfish. Don't make choices that cause your family pain.


She taught me to make sure my kids helped around the house, not because of laziness but because instilling a work ethic in your kids does start at home.


She taught me to take pictures of my kids. Save their schoolwork, their artwork, their creations. Save their special toys. They may want them someday. She taught me to save their baby clothes and blankets. They are special and one day when they have kids they will want them. They mean something. They are a reminder of a simpler, more innocent time.


She taught me to take care of myself. Take time for me. Make sure I have enough so I can continue to give. There is balance and a mom needs balance.


All of these lessons she taught by doing them. Some she did right and most she did wrong. I choose to look at them as life lessons. I am all these things because of her. She was a model for me just as I am a model for my kids. I hope my kids will not have to take the model and do the exact opposite like I had to do.


She taught me so many things and I am thankful. Thankful for grace and mercy and the ability to find the good.

No comments: