Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Aunt Kate's house

This house holds very special memories for me and there was a time when I wanted to own it and fill it with more memories of my own. I spent Thankgivings here, summers with my cousin, Christmas time, family get togethers. We were always welcomed at the door with a hug and warm greeting and there were always goodies on the table and soda in the fridge. We were allowed to venture out to the huge backyard and explore. It was a very special place for me. One that held stability, comfort, family ties, a warm welcome no matter the time or day. Before it's sold to a stranger I wanted to take my kids there for a photo shoot. My kids were her great, great nephews and niece. She was my great Aunt and was she ever great. Only a few people come along in your life that are this special.

Although not everyone in my photo shoot was cooperative, I did manage to do a little bargaining for some of these shots. They mean so much to me and I wanted to capture a little bit of my childhood and save it forever.


It was the perfect setting. A warm summer day with the occasional and very welcomed breeze blowing, three beautiful children dressed in white, a very charming setting.




This gate has a wagon wheel on it and for all of my 20 years of going to this house, I'm embarrassed to admit, I never noticed it. Strange how you look at things more closely once they are about to be taken away from you. Who knows if this gate will remain. I wonder if the new owner would give it to me......hmmmm....


There is a great tree in the backyard for climbing. It was where she would let her cat roam freely even if it was only by a very long rope. Strange, I know, but you had to know this cat. A rope swing always hung from the tree and no kid could walk by it without giving it a whirl. Rope swings...ahhh....



There is a back field attached to this property that once held a pony who pulled a cart. The story is that pony loved to pull the cart and was especially happy if it was filled with little kids. I love that story. What could be better than being pulled by a pony in a cart?


This is the barn where the pony stayed and its the only remaining building besides the house that is still standing. There was a playhouse built for the girls back in the 50's. I longed to go in that playhouse but they always told me it was filled with junk and spiders. I wanted to clean it out and play in it so bad. It was not to be.



I can't think of anything more charming than a little old barn in the backyard painted red with white trim. Especially if you know its from the 50's. We're talking Walnut Creek here people. I can picture the pony leaning his head over the door just waiting for a little girl to bring him a carrot or an apple. I wish I knew the pony's name. I'll have to find out.


The back porch. Oh, the back porch. It was where the fun was if we were having a family gathering. It was where she fed all the squirrels. It was always covered in that astroturf green carpeting so we wouldn't slip.

The playhouse is gone, the rope swing is gone and even the green astroturf is gone but my memories remain and they are good and sweet and lovely.














No comments: