Friday, August 26, 2011

Early Mornings

I love to be up early, before everyone else gets up, the house is dark, the yard has a very peaceful feeling as the sun slowly rises, the birds are emerging from their nests and making their calls. It feels magical and special and that's why I do it. I try to slip out of bed without waking up my husband but of course he's the lightest sleeper in the world so he always wakes up. At least he can stretch out in the bed and enjoy knowing he has a few more minutes before his day has to start. I love having my quiet time, where I can pray, read my Bible, write in my journal. It lays the foundation for my day and things always go smoother when I've had my alone time early in the morning. The cats get up with me. One usually wants to go out and the other wants in. We try to seperate them at night since they fight. One doesn't like the other.

I'll let you decide who doesn't like who......

Depending on what time I get up, I head out to the backyard to feed the bunnies and chickens. I love seeing how different the garden looks so early in the morning. Everything seems so green and lush. The blooms are all open and the leaves are plump and happy. I grew this flower from a seed. The snails have had a little feast but it still amazes me everytime I walk by it. I've never successfully grown a flower from a seed packet. Now I have.


I also grew this basil from seed and I actually used it in a dish last night. So yummy!


I grew these cantelope from seed as well but I didn't think they would actually grow so I didn't plan the room in my garden for them. I'm working on making a little plot for them by the studio. They clearly need to be planted in the ground.


And yes, I grew this zucchini from seed. Absolutely amazing! When I finally get zucchini I am going to have a truckload. I have big plans for my bounty.... zucchini bread, baked zucchini, fried zucchini...I can't wait.

I saw this great idea where someone put china saucers around the border of a garden. I've been collecting lonely saucers and I now have enough to make a border to go around the zucchini. I hope it looks as cute as it does in my head. We shall see.


Oh, pumpkin from seed too!! I love seeing the blooms because you know that one day that could be a giant pumpkin if everything goes right. It has to be pollinated, it has to be properly watered and it has to have good soil. If all goes well there will be pumpkins on my porch in October that I grew. I love it!



Since I was on a seed kick, I thought I would try my hand at watermelon too. It actually grew. I've never been able to grow a watermelon and I've lived here 11 years. We'll see, but things look good as of now. Although my timing is off, watermelons in October????

Sunflowers. I love them and they are so easy to grow. This one is from the sunflower I grew last year. We harvested the seeds and then planted them for a Girl Scout activity this year. Next year I want to plant them all over the yard. They make everything so much cheerier. It is on the downside now and soon, we shall have seeds. Everyday the little hummingbird comes and visits our sunflowers. The sun is up, the husband is up, the children are up, the world is now awake and my special time is done. In the evening as I pass the coffee pot I get excited because tomorrow.....tomorrow holds the promise of another early morning.










No comments: